Pages

2/10/2010

Crono-issues

Right now, directly out of an ongoing discussions, I need to think about this whole chronotype issue again and how it affects my life. After all, in Germany, right now it is 2:00 AM, and I woke up approximately an hour ago.

Even in our environment there are seemingly enough people who believe that inner balance would be the key to everything. Be a good girl, have an balanced daytime rhythm, get in touch with your inner self and everything will be fine.

Sorry, folks but... no. I just came from explaining a young and hopeful fantasy author that even the best-balanced daytime rhythm does not help me with my constant jetlag. When I am off my rhythm, even when I get enough sleep (let's for example say 8 hours) I do not feel refreshed and happy and in touch with my inner self, bleagh. I feel like torn out of the trashbag.

Some people really need to get of this "everybody can get along fine during the daytime" train. Some people simply can't. Owls can't. I can't. I have the possibility of comparing years of nightshift work with double the time of constant dayshift work and I must come to the conclusion that as long as I have a dayshift, I am only half as productive as I could be.

What upsets me more than that, however, is that I hear such bullshit from people directly connected to the German VC. Do these people know whom they are dealing with, after all?