Pages

4/19/2012

Hen vs. Egg reloaded... are we like this, for real?

Hello, Europe.

Okay, guys, now you really made me believe that reality imitates fiction. Either this, or some guy named Justin tapped into something real decades ago. I cannot explain otherwise why this kind of development would take place here and now. I mean, are we so predictable? Predictable enough that a piece of fiction points out a course of events that takes place 20 years later?

So what is happening here? Basically, I am in one of my incommunicado phases again. It happens. They get longer and longer, okay. But when I come back, I usually try to catch up on the news of my side of reality, at least in the more local communities. This week, I read over some message board and caught up on some indicents that happened recently. While I am not really able to go into any details (first, I was not there and second, I only have like, half of the info available even by reading), a part of the debate that evolved out of these incidents stunned me.

I tapped into a debate on social events within our society and how they should be conducted. Open and visible bleeding vs. socializing only. Etiquette vs. bleeding party. Self-discipline vs. the right to pursue our nature freely. Mind you, this was a real debate, conducted by real people. I read statements in the tone of "We have a certain etiquette because we need it in order to protect us one from each other." and "Who are you to dictate me that?"

While I purely and absolutely understand that an event X triggered a debate Y for the way people acted and reacted (assuming the descriptions were realistic and neutral enough to give me a glimpse on what really happened), I feel a little eery reading it. Are we like this? I mean, really? I know I had such a discussion on a smaller scale pretty much 18 years ago, but gosh, I thought this was one individual gone wild, and I thought I am the good gal, while he is he bad guy. Now I see a complete bunch of vamps leading the same discussion on a larger scale. Sooo, it looks like Germany is not going to have a Sang/Psi-debate, but rather an etiquette vs. instinct one.

Does anyone feel reminded of something?, I, for sure, do.
Can you guess the face I made when I read this?
Even more, where does this leave ME standing, after all what happened?

I sometimes wish I could just pick up the phone and ring a certain person. I assume, if he is still alive, he does not even have a phone, less a computer. I wish I could simply continue the debate we had before splitting up in anger. I would need to ask him a question. I wrote something about the origins of the German VC, but I deliberately left out a piece of well, something. I mean, I remember how people reacted on my "That guy made me the way I am"... I can only imagine how THAT would sound to you guys. Cryptic? Yes, maybe. But to be honest, I even feel funny while my cursor is hovering over the "Publish" button.

Just do me one favor, guys. If you decide to split into an "instinct" and an "etiquette" fraction over here, don't drag me in, okay?